Introduction To IELTS Speaking
The speaking test is the same for Academic and General IELTS and lasts for about 11-15 minutes and is divided into 3 major parts.
PART 1- Introduction and Interview (4-5 minutes)
The examiner introduces him/her and asks you to introduce yourself and confirm your identity and further asks you generic questions on common topics like home, family, work, studies and interests.
PART 2- Individual long turn (3-4 minutes)
The examiner gives you a cue card which asks you to talk about a particular topic and which includes points you can cover in your talk. You are given 1 minute to prepare, and a pencil and paper to make notes. You are then expected to speak on the same for 1-2 minutes and then the examiner asks you one or two questions on the same topic.
PART3- Two-way discussion (4-5 minutes)
The examiner further asks a few questions related to the topic of part 2 entail the discussion.
You are assessed on your performance throughout the test by certificated IELTS examiners according to the IELTS speaking test assessment criteria (Fluency and Coherence, Lexical Resource, Grammatical Range and Accuracy, Pronunciation).
SUCCESS FORMULA FOR SPEAKING
- One must speak fluently and clearly.
- Considering there will be no break between the three parts, one must be active, alert and prepared.
- Avoid going off-topic.
- The timing and length of the answers is determined by the examiner.
- Pronunciation must be accurate.
- Try to talk as much as you can
- Talk as fluently as possible and be spontaneous
- Relax, be confident and enjoy using your English
- Develop your answers
- Speak more than the examiner
- Ask for clarification if necessary
- Do not learn prepared answers; the examiner is trained to spot this and will change the question
- Express your opinions; you will be assessed on your ability to communicate
- The examiner’s questions tend to be fairly predictable; practice at home and record your voice.
SAMPLE CUE CARDS
- Describe a person you have seen who is beautiful or handsome
- An intelligent person that you know
- Describe a time when you were cheated/ when someone lied to you/ someone did not tell you the complete truth
- Talk about an interesting old person you met
- Talk about a time when you travelled with an old person
- Describe one of your grandparent’s jobs
- Food that people eat on special events
- Describe a special date in you country’s history
- Good news that you heard/received/read on the internet
- A subject you did not like when you were at school but now you find interesting
- Describe a time when you showed or taught a young person how to do a thing
- A person you would like to study or work with
- Something you bought but did not use much
- Talk about a public facility that improves/ influence local life quality
- A book you want to write
- Talk about a friend or person who recently got success
- Describe a person you wanted to be similar to when you were growing up
- Describe a situation when you did not have enough time
- Historical period you want to know about
- Describe a time when you found something that someone lost
- Describe your idea of a perfect home or dream house
- Describe a place such as a park or sports ground which has developed in your city for the betterment of people
- Things you usually do well (or do regularly) for your job or study
- Describe a good law in your country
- Describe something you made yourself for your friend (handmade present)
- Talk about a skill that takes long time to learn
- Talk about a beautiful city
- Describe a family business
- Describe a time when you searched/looked for information from the internet
- Describe when someone gave you something you really wanted
- Talk about an equipment that was broken and you got repaired (or which had a problem)
- Describe about a faraway (remote) place that you would like to visit
- Talk about a foreign language you want to learn (other than English)
- An important decision you made with help of someone
- Talk about a time when you received money as a gift
- Talk about a thing you complained about something ( but finally got a good result )
- Talk about a place where you like to study (indoors/outdoors) or where it is easy for you to study
- Describe a teenager you know
- Interesting part of your country or A place that is interesting in your country
- Talk about an interesting talk or a lecture
- Talk about something that you borrowed from your friend
- Talk about a game or sport you enjoyed when you were young
- Describe a person whom you have never met but heard a lot about him and would like to meet
- Talk about a TV Program that made you laugh a lot
- Describe a plant grown in your country that you think is important
- A talkative person
- An animal you like the most (strange/seen for the first time)
- Design of a building you visited and liked/ talk about a building
- A street market in your city/a street market where you did shopping
- Describe an outdoor sport that you haven’t done yet and would like to do in the future. Please say
- Describe a time when you had to change your plan/ you changed your mind
- An exciting book you read or a book you read recently
- A website which helped you to do something/ website you visit often/ use regularly
- Describe a famous person that you are interested in
- Describe a quiet place
SOLVED SAMPLE SPEAKING
- Describe a person you have seen (met) who is beautiful or handsome
- When and where you saw or met this person
- Talk about the personality
- Why do you think this person is handsome or beautiful
- I have seen many beautiful and handsome people In my life.
- Here, I would like to talk about a person whom I find the most handsome.
- He is none other than my father.
- His name is ……………………
- He is not tall, but looks very handsome.
- His hair has started greying, but he doesn’t color or dye his hair.
- He believes in growing grey naturally.
- He generally wears kurta pajama, but on formal occasions he wears pants and shirts
- He is very health consious and is very particular about his morning walk.
- He runs his own business and has about 10 people working for him.
- He is very down to earth person and is loved by all in our family and neighborhood.
- The reason I find him the most handsome is not just because of his looks, but also because of his loving and caring nature.
- I remember, once a person in our neighborhood met with an accident and needed blood transfusion.
- All his relatives backed out, but my father donated blood without even thinking twice.
- Whenever anyone needs any help, he goes out of the way to help him in whatever way he can.
- He is my father, but in him I find a considerate friend.
- He listens to all my problems very patiently and guides me whenever I am in a difficult situation.
- Even in his business, he is loved and respected by all his employees.
- He believes in leading by example.
- He is always on time to work and so his employees also do the same.
- So, because of his qualities, I find him the most handsome person.
Follow up Questions
- Is it easy become beautiful?
I really believe that beauty is more about a person’s actions than his looks. So in this respect, it is about doing good deeds and helping others. This sounds easy but it is really difficult. If we talk about physical beauty even that is difficult. A person not only needs to be regular with physical exercise but also manage his or her diet.
- The disadvantages of being beautiful?
The biggest disadvantage of being beautiful is the unwanted attention a person receives. Sometimes, it is too much and a person might not be able to handle it. Also, there is common misconception that beautiful people are not intelligent. I think pretty people have to work extra hard to show their other talents.
- Does someone face lot of pressure if they are beautiful?
I think it depends on the person. Some people are beautiful, but don’t bother much about the attention they get because of their beauty and behave normally. Some beautiful people may not be able to handle the attention they get and may feel stressed. I also think that beautiful people have the stress to maintain their beauty.
- Is looking beautiful a good thing or a bad thing?
Well, it is good to be beautiful, but I also feel that it is the inner beauty that ultimately matters. So having a beautiful heart is better than having beautiful looks. Outward beauty remains of no value if the person is impolite and has no empathy for others. A not so beautiful person, who always has a warm and welcoming smile, may look more beautiful than a very beautiful person with a snobbish nature.
- Should clothes selling companies hire beautiful models? Why
Well, companies have to sell their products and beautiful models can make their clothes look very good. Their sales can skyrocket because of these models. So, they should hire such models.
- Do you think when companies or business shops hire beautiful models to stimulate or increase their sales is a good thing?
Yes, it is good for companies, because in this way they can increase their sales considerably. But, people should always try those clothes before buying. They have to realize that the those beautiful models have maintained beautiful bodies, and any clothing which looks good on those models may look very unbecoming on them.
- Do you think beautiful appearance is important?
Yes, beautiful appearance is very important nowadays, because many jobs require a presentable appearance. But I feel that a good appearance can be maintained by dressing nicely and carrying yourself well. Very beautiful features are not necessarily needed for beautiful looks.